LATROBE, Pennsylvania — Steelers followers who crammed into Chuck Noll Field on Sunday were treated to the actual of the four practices throughout Pittsburgh’s first week of coaching camp. It became also the actual be aware to this point for Kenny Pickett, who’s anticipated to take a necessary soar throughout his first paunchy season because the crew’s initiating quarterback.
Pickett became on the money early. After now no longer being ready to join with Pat Freiermuth on the vital play of Seven Photographs (a seven-play drill between the offense and protection from the two-yard-line), Pickett hit George Pickens for a wide commence touchdown (there regarded to be a miscommunication on the play between Joey Porter Jr. and Chandon Sullivan) to tie issues up. The offense took the lead one play later when Pickett hit tight end Zach Gentry on the far aspect.
Pickett persisted to save a question to for his tight ends on the following play. He and Freiermuth curved up for a score — towards the 2d-crew protection — because the offense took a commanding 3-1 lead. The protection, despite the incontrovertible fact that, got here help to score the drill after Pickett exited following his touchdown pass to Freiermuth.
The solar — which beat down on the realm throughout be aware — persisted to shine on Pickett and the initiating offense throughout the next allotment of be aware. Pickett evaded stress earlier than hitting Diontae Johnson, who then displayed some nifty working after the procure. Moments later, Pickett unleashed a depraved pump that became equipped hook, line and sinker by rookie cornerback Cory Trice Jr., who became guarding Pickens on the shut to aspect. The pump false led to an straightforward completion.
Pickett wasn’t done trying out Trice, who in the end earlier got here up with two mountainous plays to wait on the protection score Seven Photographs. Overlaying Cody White, Trice became unable to score between White and a bullet pass from Pickett that became thrown so tough it’ll be heard hitting White’s shoulder pads 20-plus yards away.
Following a solid afternoon, Pickett then took time signing autographs for the followers who determined to stick round after be aware. Overall, it’s accumulate to train that all americans who took in be aware left feeling greater referring to the 2023 Steelers’ chances when Pittsburgh opens up the typical season on Sept. 10.
Right here’s a rundown of among the opposite well-known moments from Sunday’s be aware. The Steelers will score Monday off earlier than having their first padded be aware on Tuesday.
- Cornerback Kenny Robinson became a defensive standout by advantage of his two interceptions on Sunday. His first got here throughout Seven Photographs and his 2d one came about on a deep pass from Mason Rudolph that became intended for Calvin Austin III.
- Inside linebackers Cole Holcomb and Mark Robinson, per chance inspired by the crew’s most unique signing of Kwon Alexander, each and each made some solid plays in shut to succession. Holcomb made a pleasing pass breakup, whereas Robinson blew up a swing pass to Austin that by no map had an opportunity to score off the floor.
- Joey Porter Jr. persisted his solid birth to camp with a pleasing breakup of a pass intended for Austin. Porter became one in every of just a few younger avid gamers who obtained a bigger workload Sunday with among the veterans getting the ruin day.
- While he gave up a few plays, Trice did have a pleasing breakup of a pass intended for Hakeem Butler, who cherish Trice became one in every of the standouts of Saturday’s be aware.
- Alex Highsmith is taking a scrutinize cherish Lawrence Taylor reincarnated. Already a Pro Bowl stage pass rusher, Highsmith looks to be on the verge of being an All-Pro performer in 2023.
- Appropriate hours after signing with the Steelers, Alexander took half in crew drills. While he said that he is willing to gain whatever characteristic the Steelers question him to rill, it’s obvious that Alexander is coming to Pittsburgh to be a necessary contributor.